Originally the Feliz Family burial ground, the Hopland Cemetery was founded in the early 1780's by Spanish land grant. By 1840, it became the cemetery for the settlers from the nearby town of Sanel. The railroad arrived in 1888 bringing pioneers from across the globe seeking a new life in the healthy climes of the West. The town of Sanel was renamed "Hopland" in the early 20th Century in an effort to attract visitors to the then location of the largest hop farm in the country. The surviving monuments represent only half of the residents buried here and many of the original families continue to reside in the surrounding area.